Town Clerk


Town Clerk/Tax Collector:
Maryann Lister (2026)

Deputy Tax Collector/Assist. Town Clerk:
Kelly Butler

​Phone: 603-922-5546


Monday: 10 am – 1 pm
​Tuesday: 3 – 6 pm
Wednesday: 9 am – 3:30 p

Or by appointment (one week notice required.) No DMV transactions outside of Mon-Wed !


Fuller Town Hall
1956 US Route 3
PO Box 366
Stratford, NH 03590



  • In person: Bring the expiring registration or the online renewal info (You may send a “courier” to renew a vehicle for you, they must bring the expiring registration along with an ID)
  • Online: you need your plate # and last 4 digits of VIN# from your registration. Pay Online Here
  • By mail: send the renewal info, a check, or money order made out to the “Town of Stratford” for the total of your transaction (call or look up online). Please include a SASE.



Moved from another NH town/city: Bring your expiring registration, ID, and proof of residency

Moved from Out-of-State: Bring the out-of-state title and registration, ID, and proof of residency. If a lienholder has the title then bring the lienholder contact information. All vehicle owners listed on the title must be present to sign the NH Title Application!

The State of NH requires that vehicles are titled and registered within 60 days of establishing residency. You do not need a New Hampshire Driver’s License to complete this process.



Newly owned vehicles are titled and registered in person at the Town Clerk’s Office

Vehicles 2000 and newer:

  • Title Application completed by a licensed NH dealer.
  • If this is a private sale, a current title is properly filled out and signed by the seller(s) and buyer(s). All buyers must be present to complete a private sale title application unless you can present a notarized Power of Attorney Form.
  • For sales from out-of-state dealers, please contact Town Clerk for further info.

Vehicles 1999 and older:

  • VIN Verification needed by one of the following
    • Copy of a prior title
    • Copy of prior NH registration
    • VIN Verification Form (TDMV19A)
    • Bill of sale


Plate transfers are done in person at the Town Clerk’s Office.

  • Transfers must keep the same primary owner.
  • Bring current registration from prior vehicle. If you do not have the current ORIGINAL registration, you can purchase a certified copy for $18.


NH 20-Day Temporary Plates for private sales are issued at the DMV ONLY. ______________________________________________________________________________

Motorcycles are titled and registered the same as vehicles. See above.

Moped 50cc and under: Initial registration is handled with the DMV, after that renewals can be done as usual at the Town Clerk’s Office. Mopeds are not titled in NH.


Trailers are titled and registered the same as vehicles. See above.

Trailers with a GVW (Gross Vehicle Weight) of 3000 pounds or less are title exempt and just need a Bill of Sale – including the VIN number! – to register. If new, bring a Certificate of Origin from the dealer.


If you have any further questions, please contact the Town Clerk’s Office.

The Stratford Town Clerk is a Boat Agent for the State of NH. We’re happy to register your boat for you.

Boat Registration Renewals can be done in person or by mail. Please add $5 agent fee to the DMV renewal amount on your letter. (There currently is no online renewal option for boat registrations).

In Person: at the Town Clerk’s Office

By Mail: Include Bow Number & Return Address
Make out check to “Town of Stratford”
Mail to: Town of Stratford, P.O. Box 366, Stratford, NH 03590


State Law, RSA 466:1 requires that all dogs be licensed EACH YEAR between January 1st and April 30th. Puppies must be licensed promptly after their first rabies inoculation.

In order to license their dog(s) owners must show proof of current rabies vaccination.

Dog Licensing Fees

Male or Female – Unaltered $9.00
Spayed/Neutered Dog $6.50
1st Dog owned by a Senior citizen (65+) $2.00
Puppies (3-7 months) $6.50
Group/Kennel Licenses (5+ dogs) $20.00

 How can I license my dog?

  • Online (pay online here) – renewals only, rabies vaccination must be current in our records
  • In person at the Town Clerk’s Office
  • By Mail: Send check made out to “Town of Stratford” to: Stratford Town Clerk, PO Box 366, Stratford NH 03590
  • You can also register and license a new dog by mail (get form here)

Please contact the Town Clerk with any further questions.

Election Information & Voter Registration


Note: On Mondays preceding any election the Clerk’s office will be open from 3-5 pm to receive absentee ballots.

Polls in Stratford are always open from 10 am to 7 pm on Election Day.

New Voter Registration

  • Residents may register to vote anytime during the year with the Town Clerk during regular business hours.
  • New Hampshire also allows “Same day registration” on the day of election.
  • If you are registering as a new voter you need: a photo ID, proof of citizenship, age and residency in Stratford. Visit the NH State Election website for more information on these requirements.
  • You can check your voter status with NH Secretary of State’s office Voter Look up 

Absentee Ballot Applications

Absentee ballots are available from the Town Clerk. Fill out application completely and mail or drop off at Town Clerk’s Office. Ballots will be mailed out as soon as they are available.

Political Parties

When registering to vote, you do not have to register as a member of a political party (republican or democratic) – you may register as an undeclared voter. Undeclared voters may declare a party and vote at any primary. The law allows an undeclared voter to declare a party at the polls, vote the ballot of that party, and then change their party affiliation back to undeclared simply by filling out a form with the Supervisors of the Checklist at the polling place. Voters can also change their party affiliation at the Town Clerk’s Office. Certain deadlines apply before each primary election when a voter cannot change their party affiliation.

If you are unsure of your party affiliation, you can check your voter status with NH Secretary of State’s office Voter Look up or contact the Town Clerk’s Office.

For more information on elections, including how to register to vote, visit the NH Secretary of State Elections Site.

The Stratford Town Clerk’s Office can supply certified copies of Vital Records for events that occurred in New Hampshire.
Please note:
Certified Vital Records (unless they’re historical) can be issued by any NH Town Clerk – so if it’s more convenient to get your record in a different Town office, feel free to do so.

Ways to apply for a Certified Copy of a Vital Record:

In Person: at the Town Clerk’s Office
You will need to show a Photo ID & fill out an application

By Mail: please contact Clerk for information on how to proceed

Certified copies of birth, death, civil union, marriage, divorce, dissolution: $15
Subsequent copies: $10*
Please note:
The $15 fee is a search fee, payable whether or not the record is found

*Reduced fee for subsequent copies only if issued at same time as first copy.

A marriage license can only be issued in person. Both parties need to be present.
This service is by appointment only – please contact the Town Clerk.

Bring: Photo ID. If this is not your first marriage, the original copy of the latest occurrence of death, annulment or divorce. You will also need information on parents’ names, their names at birth, and birth dates (your own birth certificate can help if you are not sure).

Once issued, the license is valid for 90 days.

Please note: Marriage Licenses can be issued by any NH Town Clerk – so if it’s more convenient to get your license in a different Town office, feel free to do so.

Fee: Marriage License: $50

The Stratford Town Clerk is a certified Notary Public. The Town office also has a Justice of the Peace staff member available.

These services are available during our regular business hours.

The service fee is $1.00 per notarization.

1 8b98b74888 Minutes/Annual-Meeting-Minutes 59fb1c42ef